Friday 2 August 2013

Honouring Cory Monteith

Cory Monteith, one of the sources
of inspiration for RobVogt80s
Cory Monteith is one of the reasons this blog exists.

For years I mused about writing something about my experiences and memories growing up in the '80s. I always wondered if there was any sort of audience or interest in the '80s, especially the TV, the movies, and the music.

And then came "Glee".

It put any doubts to rest, resurrecting dozens of songs I listened to as a teenager, introducing them to a whole new generation and creating a new audience for that music. There on the screen, singing many of my old favourites, was football star and glee club leader Finn Hudson, played by Cory Monteith.

Today I saw the third episode of the upcoming season of "Glee" will deal with the death of Finn Hudson. They have to do that at some point because Cory Monteith recently died in real life.

A role model
It was sad and shocking to hear of his death. What I kept hearing over and over was that he genuinely was a nice guy. I admired him for sharing his struggles with addiction. He never denied it, nor made excuses. Instead, he was open and honest. He had a problem he was battling, and you know what, everything wasn't okay all the time. Never did he downplay it, or shirk responsibility. He faced his demons. Sadly, they won out in the end, but he let everyone know he went down fighting.

Eternally grateful
So, although we won't hear Finn sing any more duets with longtime fling on screen and in real life Rachel Berry (played by Lea Michele), we can look back and savour what he brought to the screen. He cemented his place in pop culture long ago, and along the way gave me the inspiration to start writing about some of the very things he was singing. For that, I am eternally grateful Cory Monteith. Rest in peace.

And what better way to remember him, then with one of the signature songs from "Glee"…

No comments:

Post a Comment